A good suitcase is an important part of everyone's travel and adorable accessory. What suitcase is better to choose, considering variety of offers, is a good question. First of all you have to decide how suitable your suitcase is going to be for the conditions in which you are going to travel.
We often want to safe money and buying the cheapest luggage from the supermarket not considering the purposes of our travels. If you travel not often it can be good, but for a frequent traveler I would recommend buying more proven and time -tested brands.
Even relatively inexpensive suitcase can be good enough made of good material and tested by the manufacturer. A good suitcase must have at least one year of the guarantee as a quality indicator. So, now we have to decide what are the goals of your travel, duration, do you travel with a family or alone and what luggage size are you allowed to take on board.
What type of traveler you are?
When you decided to buy a new suitcase, you have to consider the purposes of your upcoming trips and what category of travelers you belong to. There are several types of travelers:
- Business traveler or holiday traveler. If the duration of your trip is no more than 2 – 3 days, this is your case.
- Adventure traveler. If you like hiking, kayaking, skiing, surfing, you belong to this category.
- Family traveler. If you are going to a vacation with family and kids, this is your type.
- Shopping traveler. If the purpose of your journey not only to see a famous sight, but to buy a lot, this will be your type.
- Frequent traveler. If you travel every month, this is your category and you must consider buying a well -quality suitcase.
- Not – frequent traveler. If you travel 1 or 2 times in a year to visit your grandmother, this is probably going to be your case.
Size is important
There are 3 rules for your ideal suitcase:
- Your suitcase shouldn’t be too heavy and big; take as much as you can carry by yourself. Not everyone will be able to help you, and you have to relay on yourself. If you are traveling with someone else, take rather two suitcases instead of one big.
- Your suitcase must be suitable for the requirements of the flight company. The size must correspond them.
- Your suitcase must be durable. Choose a model with a solid frame and made of a hard material such as policarbonat. And don’t forget about the weight: it is better to choose a suitcase, which weights less, so you will be able to bring more stuff with you.
Speaking about the sizes, you need to keep in mind the 3 common sizes – S, M and L.
▪S size is about 50×35×21 sm – normally the size of the most carry -on baggage. Suitable for business travelers or for holiday traveler, who likes to travel with the minimum things.
▪M size is about 60×40×25 and is the most popular size you can travel wherever you want with. Suitable for a shopping traveler, for a family traveler, if you take two such the suitcases.
▪L size is about 70×45×27. This size will be good for the family traveler if you can one suitcase for the whole family or for adventure traveler.
There are two main types of material for a suitcase:
▪Soft materials. Sometimes people think that if they buy a suitcase made of a soft material, it weights less, but it is not true. Two clear advantages of a fabric suitcases are the lower price and some expandable parts or external pockets, where you can put small items needed for you trip or souvenirs bought at the last minute.
▪ Hard materials are usually different types of plastic. These suitcases are more durable, don’t get wet and very easy to clean.
The best kind of plastic is polycarbonat, which costs more, but will serve you much longer and you will discover a bunch of a new destination together with your new suitcase:)
There 2, 6 or 8 wheel suitcases. If we expect that our luggage will be a heavy one, is it better to choose a suitcase with the 4 wheels – it will be more stable, durable and easier to carry. Now we have more modern suitcases even with 8 wheels – looks like a centipede:) This innovation gives even more stability by any overloads and not accurate baggage dropping at the airport.
I personally wouldn’t consider buying a 2 – wheel suitcase, only in case you need a small one for a short trip. Otherwise, a 2 – wheel suitcase will make more pressure on your arm and add extra 10-15 kg. Another important thing you need to consider is that your suitcase will have a wheels able to move your bag on 360° sideways. This also will make your trip more comfortable.
By choosing your best suitcase you will need to think about the safety of your luggage as well. There is a common opinion that suitcases with TSA lock are the most reliable ones. TSA -Travel Sentry Approved is the internationally approved standard for safety travel. But anyway the custom officials would be able to unlock your suitcase with a universal key, if necessary because all the checked baggage are subjects to search.
Free bag sizes for most popular lowcosters:)
- Ryanair – 25×40×20
- WizzAir – 40×30×20
- Easy Jet – 56×45×25
- Eurowings – 55×40×23
One more recommendation: try to choose a suitcase with a bright color, don’t buy a black one – you will not be able to find it on a baggage caruosel:)
Written by Alex